Low Fat Black Bean Dip
After much deliberating (with myself), I opted to go low-carb for my New Year’s Res. This means that I will be cooking a bit healthier (lucky us). I despise store-bought bean dips, they taste horrible to me. Therefore, I decided to whip this one up, which you will love. AND…it is sans guilt. You know, that feeling you get after scarfing down an entire bowl of artichoke spinach dip and half a bag of tortilla chips? Yep, did just that last week pre-diet. Serve this delish dip with whole grain pita chips or whole wheat lavosh. You can also slather it on a tortilla and add some grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato and a dollop of light sour cream for a yummy sandwich.
- fat free butter spray (I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter makes a good one)
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin plus 2 tablespoons diced for garnish
- 3 tablespoons canned chipotles en adobo juice (if you want heat, add one chopped chipotle)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (the kind in a jar really works best here)
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 14-ounce can fat free refried black beans (I used Trader Joe’s)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- non-fat plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- whole grain pita chips or whole wheat lavosh
1.) In a medium skillet over medium heat, add 6 sprays of butter. Add sliced red onion and saute until slightly browned and softened, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, stir and cook another minute. Add chipotle juice, chile powder, cumin, and black beans. Season with salt and pepper, stir and let cook over medium low heat for 1-2 minutes.
2.) Pour dip into serving bowl, top with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, 2 tablespoons red onion, a little pinch of chile powder (for presentation!).